Cobham Rugby

Match Report- Cobham 42 Old Reigatians 7

London South 2 West, November 14th 2015

As if the pressure of being top of the table was not enough Cobham knew that they would be playing this match in front of the Ex- Players of Cobham and Old Surbitonians  who, whilst supportive would always have a comment or ten to make if the game wasn't progressing as they thought it might.

Having secured an impressive win against Basingstoke the previous week this fixture against a side fourth in the table and played in ‘seasonal’ conditions would always be testing.

As with that previous game there was a lot more to report on from the second half.

Cobham could not have got off to a worse start losing centre Matt Goddard to a leg injury within the first few minutes but a penalty at least enabled Weir to open the scoring for Cobham 3-0.

The conditions conspired to ensure that both sides missed their subsequent penalty attempts but Weir didn't waste the next opportunity to take the score to 6-0. However Cobham were once again starting slowly, as they had the previous week and were fortunate not to lose the lead when Old Reigatians intercepted and were only brought down within yards of the line by a determined Dave Baker.

Cobham upped their game to achieve the first converted try when Brown went over 13-0 only to lose that advantage shortly after when Old Reigatians benefited from ( Rule 22.4b) by grounding the ball against the Cobham goal post.  13-7.

The second half kicked off, with  a gusty wind and incessant rain making open rugby  challenging and inducing handling errors on both sides. From the start of the second half Cobham were in 15 man attack mode taking play deep into their opponents half and the constant attacks eventually led to the first score of the second half when  after 10 minutes of constant pressure a gap in the Reigatian defence was found allowing winger Alex Aves to burst through the defence to score an unconverted try.18 - 7

A series of driving mauls and retention of possession ensured that the Reigatian defence was tested to its limits. However the Reigatian team displayed a determined and dogged defence in their 25  keeping the Cobham forwards at bay for a long period in this absorbing second half. The Cobham eight were repelled time after time in driving towards the try line but with 15 minutes remaining a penalty in a kickable position was awarded and calmly converted by Ollie Weir 21 -7.

With the Reigatian team visibly tired and stretched, Cobham saw the opportunity to press home their advantage and gain the maximum number of bonus points.

The attacks were constantly threatening and eventually drew mistakes and three converted tries were scored in the last 10 minutes of the game. The first by Richard Trepant after a driving maul converted by Ollie Weir. 28 - 7

The second from quick possession enabling Dave Baker to burst over the  line for a try converted by Ollie Weir. 35 – 7. The last was after a short period of play in the Cobham half with the Reigatian side attempting to gain some momentum in attack but allowed Ollie Weir to intercept a pass and score a try which he converted.   42 – 7


Director of Rugby Steve Pope said after the game 

‘‘The Boys all put in a good shift today in very difficult conditions - both sides battled hard and tried to play rugby, Pleasing to see we are starting to put some of what we are working on in training in to practice on the field. The OR’s side, credit to them, pushed us hard for the full eighty minutes and I’m pleased the boys managed the game and conditions and took their chances very well.We still have a great deal to work on and we are looking forward to match against Weybridge Vandals this weekend.”